Saturday, June 11, 2011

My Littlest Mister

So my two year old son is quite the rough and tumble boy.  And a little grumpster at heart.  We knew it right from the start, even before he was born.  Around 18w he picked a posterior (face forward instead of toward mom's back) presentation and stuck with it to the end.  His favorite activity in utero was to push one or both of his feet as far into my belly button as he could.  Thanks to him, my belly button has gone from an "outie" to a "downie"...as in it points downward now.  Awesome.  He's worth it though.  He further clued us in to his stubborn ways when as a baby he took his sweet time learning to laugh, and then sharing it.  The usual tricks that worked with our first two didn't always work on him, and he'd only laugh when he really felt like it.  I guess he's like me a bit in that, I don't always laugh when somethings funny...I think I'm laughing, but then my husband ends up saying "guess you had to be there" and I realize that I'm NOT laughing.
My littlest guy is a happy boy...sometimes.  But he's definitely a brooding, emotional, easily soured little guy.  We're learning how to help pull him out of his shell though.  A few days ago he was having a moment...or rather, an afternoon of stormy emotions.  I pulled him to me and planted a bunch of sloppy mommy kisses all over him.  He laughed a little and went back to brooding (a favorite code-saying of ours in reference to these moods is "oh, it looks like someone killed Little Guy's puppy again" and one of us will go off and try to cheer him up).  My husband and I have been talking a lot about helping boys be boys and what little boys are inherently drawn to and it struck me.  I pulled Little Guy to me and went to plant a kiss on him and stopped suddenly, pulled back, turned my head and exclaimed "EEEWWWWWWW!  Toddler kisses!  Yuck!" and he laughed his little monster head off.  We did that over and over and over again, probably for a full 10 minutes.  He's such a boy!  Any kind of gross noises tickle him right to his core (like when the squirrel passes gas on Phineas and Ferb).  That kind of stuff may make ME uncomfortable, but my husband is always reminding me that boys are boys, and they love that stuff.  So I'll do it for them.  Do you have a broody little one?  What do you do to cheer them up?

1 comment:

  1. Aww! My son gets like this more now that his little sister was born. He gets a tad jealous and broody. That's usually when we decide it's time for a tickle fight, or a wrestling match with daddy!

    ReplyDelete

Respectful comments are always welcome!